A cable failure, independent if it is cause by internal or external strain to the cable, will in most cases change the impedance of the cable in the failure spot. A LIRA test will detect this and accurately locate the failure with accuracy better than 0.3% of the cable length.
This will dramatically save cost for the cable owner, as they can start the contingency plan knowing what equipment they must order to quickly repair the cable.
A LIRA test is a non-destructive test, where a 5V frequency sweep is applied to the cable. This means that the fault location test itself is harmless to the cable, and the LIRA test itself will not cause any more damage to the cable.
Benefits of LIRA cable fault location:
- With LIRA Cable Fault Locations Services, the cable owner can minimize the recovery time and establish promptly and effectively the necessary corrective measures
- LIRA offers fault location with the best accuracy compared with alternative technologies
- Degradations can be assessed precisely and by that corrective actions can be planned in advance
- LIRA can save significant costs for fault recovery due to shorter repair time
- LIRA Cable condition monitoring provide an early warning system for potential faults
- LIRA is a non-destructive cable fault location methodology where only a 5V frequency sweep is applied
- Best-in-class cable diagnostic system
- Sensitive to small degradation and defects
- Accurate Hot-Spots and deviations location
- Non-intrusive and non-destructive
- Applicable on multi-segment systems with different cable types
- Pre-study/simulation of cable data and defects
- Fast and simple connection to test object
- Only one access point needed
- “Zooming” feature to zoom in on the blind zone at the near end termination – at cable landfalls, in J-tubes, at subsea terminations, etc.
The fault location technology applies to:
- Transmission & Distribution Grid Owners
- On- and Offshore Wind Farm owners
- Subsea interconnector owners
- Export Cable Owners for Offshore Wind Farms
- Process Industry
- Power Cables and Umbilicals in Oil- and Gas Industry
- (Nuclear) Power Plants – I&C and Power Cables
- Cable Manufacturers – Reference Measurements – Quality Control