The objective is to identify degradations in the cables before serious failures increase the risk for outages. The condition assessment performed with LIRA technology, together with other inspection tools, will provide the cable owner more comprehensive data of cables under harsh environmental and operational conditions. This will enable the cable owner to consider cable condition monitoring data as a part for optimisation of operation, asset services and optimal utilisation of standby service capacity.
The recorded measurements can be stored as reference information (fingerprints) for later comparison with repeated measurements (cable condition monitoring). The aging process or identification of new damage to the cable can thus be assessed and recorded. In case of any mechanical impact on cables during installation and operation or aging of the total grid, LIRA measurements will be performed to evaluate any damage or deteriorating effect on the single asset.
Recorded measurement data and reports will be stored. Statistics from historical measurements are used to decide the repetition frequency for cable condition assessment measurements. This is of significant benefit in terms of quality of supply and ensures maximum reliability.
Benefits of LIRA cable condition assessment:
- Actionable input for asset management plans and maintenance strategy developments
- Enables high availability at reduced total cost of ownership
- Improved knowledge base enables reduced emergency repairs
- Valuable input for network operation based on cable condition information
- Additionally, consequence and necessary corrective action caused by accidental mechanical impact can be assessed more accurately by performing LIRA measurements to assess if the dielectric properties are changed
- Best-in-class cable diagnostic system
- Sensitive to small degradation and defects
- Accurate Hot-Spots and deviations location
- Non-intrusive and non-destructive
- Applicable on multi-segment systems with different cable types
- Pre-study/simulation of cable data and defects
- Fast and simple connection to test object
- Only one access point needed
- “Zooming” feature to zoom in on the blind zone at the near end termination – at cable landfalls, in J-tubes, at subsea terminations, etc.
The condition assessment technology applies to:
- Transmission & Distribution Grid Owners
- On- and Offshore Wind Farm owners
- Subsea interconnector owners
- Export Cable Owners for Offshore Wind Farms
- Process Industry
- Power Cables and Umbilicals in Oil- and Gas Industry
- (Nuclear) Power Plants – I&C and Power Cables
- Cable Manufacturers – Reference Measurements – Quality Control